Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek – 3rd highest mountain holds the longest trek in Nepal insight the Kanchenjunga conservation area, a newly formed tea-house trek in Eastern Nepal. The trekking lies in the east corner of Nepal between the Sikkim border. It is one of the outstanding treks for those people who are looking real wilderness, non-touristic and explore the hidden villages. Only a few hundreds of trekkers join this trek route with the support of guide, porter and special trekking permit from Nepal Government. The Kanchenjunga trekking route still able to preserve their respective tradition, culture, and environment which is best for nature and culture lovers.
Kanchenjunga region offers worthwhile trekking through lush, low land valleys, unbelievable forests and into the high alpine meadow and Nepal’s longest glaciers on the lap of Mt Kanchenjunga. On the trekking route, you will pass through beautiful Buddhist temples and villages. The Kanchenjunga region is home to a mixed community of Sherpa, Lai, Limbu and Gurung, giving trekkers an opportunity to understand their culture and lifestyle.
While trekking to Kanchenjunga Base Camp to Ghunsa Village, you will connect through GHT – Great Himalayan Trail from east Nepal.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek highlights are:
- Ultimate Himalaya hiking experience in the rural and remote areas of Nepal
- One of the most popular remote and less touristic trekking areas of Nepal
- The trek from subtropical green valleys in east Nepal to rhododendron forest to the highest summit and get close views of 8,500-meter view from the alpine zone
- Multiple options stay with local families or tented camp and get involved with local tribes of the Kanchenjunga Area
- Breathtaking views of natural beauties of Mt. Kanchenjunga base camp en route
- Eyes catch views of wildlife, including snow leopard, blue sheep, black bears, red pandas, and Himalayan Yaks
How to Trek Kanchenjunga Base Camp
The trekking route to Kangchenjunga Base Camp passes through the Arun Valley, which is considered to be one of the most beautiful trekking areas in Nepal. One of the main highlights of this trek is the Kanchenjunga Nature Reserve, which covers an area of 2,035 sq. kilometers. The area is home to many flora and fauna, as well as a variety of wildlife, including Himalayan black bears, musk deers, snow leopards, red pandas, and wild boars. Routes to base camps offer a variety of landscapes, from alpine meadows to subtropical forests, low river valleys, glacier moraines, and rocky scree slopes. During the trek, the trekker gets stunning panoramic views of the huge summits of Lhotse (8,516m), Everest (8,848m), Kanchenjunga (8,586m) and Makalu (8,481m).
Best Time to Trek Kanchenjunga Base Camp
Best time and months for Kanchenjunga trekking from March till mid-May and October till the end of November. Although, some people they hike may June and Early September and till December as well. Those months are monsoon and winter season. In general, expect stable weather, sunny days, warm days and cool nights during this trekking season. During the wintertime, some of the local village people from the upper part move down to the lower valley for a warm place. In that case, some of the tea houses and campsites may be without people and layers.
5/5 - Excellent
- Trip Code: NFH
- Trip Type: Trekking
- Start/End: Kathmandu -
- Group Size: 2-14
- Accommodation: tea-house
- Best Season:
Sept - Nov: Mar - May
- Daily Walking Hour: 4 to 8 hours
1 Arriving in Kathmandu. Transfer Hotel. B/B plan.
Arriving in TIA, meet with our representative and transfer to hotel, then stay and free activities in the evening, welcome dinner.
2 Trekking preparation and briefing of Trek and Short tour. Hotel B/B plan.
Easy Morning, a short Kathmandu highlight tours and preparing your permit, you will introduce with your guide and short information about the trek and needy things.
3 Kathmandu flight to – Suketar – Asahangpati
Fly Biratnagar to Suketar (2420m) and trek to Asahangpati.
About 3 hours walk and overnight at local family Basic Guest House.
4 Asahangpati – Chhirwa Trek
From Asahangpati to Chhirwa (1270m) about 6 hours walking and overnight at local guest house.
5 Chhirwa – Tamewa Trek
From Chhirwa to Tamewa (1450m) about 5 hours hike and overnight at local guest house with Dal Bhat.
6 Tamewa – Amjilapsa
Trek from Tamewa to Amjilapsa (2308m) about 5 hours walking and overnight at local guest house.
7 Amjilapsa – Gyabla
Trek from Amjilapsa to Gyabla (2730m) about 4 hours walk and overnight at local guest house.
8 Gyabla – Ghunsa Trek
From Gyabla to Ghunsa (3595m) about 5 hours walking and overnight guest house.
9 Ghunsa – Khambachen
Trek from Ghunsa to Khambachen (4050m) about 5 hours walking and overnight at local guest house.
10 Khambachen – Lhonak
Trek from Khambachen to Lo-hanak (4780m) about 4-5 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
11 Hike to Pangpema
Sightseeing to Pangpema and coming back to Lo-hanak about 6 hour walking and overnight at guest house.
14 Ghunsa – Sele
La Phedi Trek from Ghunsa to Sele La Phedi (4290m) about 5 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
15 Sele La Phedi – Tseram Trek
From Sele La Phedi over the pass (4836m) to Tseram (3870m) about 7 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
16 Hike to Oktang Trek
From Tseram visit to Oktang (4620) and return Tseram about 8 to 9 hours walking and overnight guest house.
17 Tseram – Tortong Trek
From Tseram to Tortong (2995m) about 5 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
18 Tortong – Yamphudin Trek
From Tortong to Yamphudin (2080m) about 5-6 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
19 Yamphudin – Phumphe Danda
Trek from Yamphudin to Phumphe Danda (1858m) about 6 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
20 Phumphe Danda – Kandebhanjyang
Trek from Phumphe danda to Kandebhanjyang (2129m) about 5 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
21 Kandebhanjyang – Lalikharka
Trek from Kandebhanjyang to Lalikharka (2265m) about 5 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
22 Lalikharka – Suketar Trek
From Lalikharka to Suketar (2420m) about 4 hours walking and overnight at guest house.
23 Suketar flight to – Kathmandu
From Suketar fly late morning to – Kathmandu, overnight at the hotel in Kathmandu. Free and relax.
- Airport pick up and drop service.
- 4 Night 3 star hotel in Kathmandu wtih B/B plan.
- Kathmandu city tours with Guide as per plan.
- Round trip flight from Kathmandu Suketar Kathmandu with guide.
- All needed trekking permit, National Park Entry Fee and entry permit.
- English speaking Guide and between 2 guest 1 porter.
- As per plan 3 meals a day and local guest house accommodation.
- Guide and porter Insurance, daily wages, Insurance and accommodation with food on the trek.
- First Aid medicine bag.
What’s Not Include
- International Airfare from and to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa on arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport – Kathmandu). $25 USD for 15 days Visa.
- Your Travel and Medical Insurance.
- Meals whilst you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner as per itinerary.
- Your Personal Expenses and trekking equipment for the trek.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold and hot drinks on trek ( i.e. those you choose to purchase along the way and during evenings in the Tea Houses)
- All desserts sweet things like chocolate, cake, pie, pudding.
- Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for the guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected)
- Kathmandu sightseeing monument entrance fees.
- Excess baggage more than 12kg. (If you have extra baggage you can leave in Kathmandu office with full safety)
The given prices is per person and exclude international flights. Fixed departure dates available for online booking. If the given date is not favorable for you, please contact us and we will happily customize your trip on dates more appropriate for you.