The Khopra Hill and Khopra Danda trek locally known as Khopra Ridge, an alternative short hiking route near Poon Hill in Mt. Annapurna area. With the Khopra Ridge Trek, you can go even higher and take a closer look at the pristine Himalayas of Dhaulagiri and Annapurna. Perhaps the Khopra Danda Trek is one of the most popular unconventional and low tourist short trekking in the Annapurna massif.
Main Features of Khopra Hill Trek are:
- Enjoy the wonderful view of mountain Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Machapucha, Annapurna
- Walk through alpine and green meadows to reach the ridge of Khopra
- Enjoy the beauty of the rhododendrons that bloom along the trail (during the spring season)
- Stay in a teahouse with one of the best panoramic views in Nepal
- Take a walk to Lake Khayer, a sacred Hindu pilgrimage site
How to trek Khopra Ridge
The route follows the same path to Ghorepani, but then descends into the valley and back to the ridge (Khopra danda) north of Poon Hill. This will take about a day, unless you want to stay at a coffee shop. The Khopra ridge trek begins from different points after the Annapurna Conservation Area entry point. You can climb Khopra Ridge counterclockwise from Birethanti, Phadi and Tatopani. The Khopra Trek trail is relatively narrow and rocky. You can after join Annapurna Base Camp trekking from Chhomrong. Khopra trekking is the only trek that offers three opportunities to see the best views of the Himalayas in history.
Between Khopra Ridge and Poon Hill, there is another great viewpoint called Muldai Peak. It takes only 30 minutes uphill from Dobate to reach the summit. Don’t miss the view from the top of Muldai Peak.
Fewer people walk in this area due to the lack of tourist trekking routes. If you are lucky, you can see lots of wildlife, birds and alpine flowers of different seasons. You trek in the middle of rocky mountain trail with the maximum view of Himalayas, Deep valley and forest. When you reach Khopra danda, you will feel such a Himalayan nirvana.
This trek will visit Khayer Lake (4,600m), high meadows, temporary herder’s settlements considered sacred by Hindus, and pass through rhododendron forests and Tibetan-like villages, along the ridge itself. Which is another great way to experience high altitude and himalayas atmosphere.
It takes a day from Khopra Danda to Tatopani. Down the valley, you can pass villages and terraces, stop by for lunch, or stay overnight at one of the village’s teahouses. Tatopani has hot springs that are open to the public.
Best time for Khopra Hill Trek
Autumn and Spring season are the two best seasons to do the Khopra Trek/Khopra Ridge Trek. The Fall season is great for Khopra trekking as it is very suitable for adventure trekking in the Himalayas. During the Fall season, it is very sunny with moderate temperatures during the day. The Spring season is also known as the flower season in the Annapurna region, as the rhododendron forest blooms rhododendrons. The days are warm and sunny, so the spring season is the second best season for Khopra trekking.
Community Lodge Option
Khopra Danda has a community-based teahouse (Lodge) established and managed by the village community through Mahabir Pun. Mr. Pun is a social worker who has been providing wireless internet connection in a rural village in Nepal. When you stay at the community lodge, donations will be sent directly to the village.
The community’s yak farms, the most pristine sunrises near the Himalayas, the Khayer glacial lakes and the Himalayan hills are the highlights of this trek.
- Airport pickup, drop and all ground transport by private vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing Hotel in pokhara with breakfast as per itinerary.
- Trekking Lodge (Tea House) accommodations throughout the trek.
- Three meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the poonhill trek in Annapurna.
- All necessary paper works for Annapurna Conservation Entry Permit and TIMS card.
- Transport to Annapurna and back to Pokhara – Kathmandu.
- A highly experience and knowledgeable, friendly , English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- Friendly and helpful porters with proper walking equipment, his salary, foods, accommodation and insurance (one porter for two people).
- Comprehensive medical box (first aid kit will be available).
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service (paid by your Travel Insurance company).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
- Assistant guide group size more than 4 person group.
- International Airfare from and to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa on arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport – Kathmandu). $25 USD for 15 days Visa.
- Your Travel and Medical Insurance.
- Meals whilst you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner as per itinerary.
- Your Personal Expenses and trekking equipment for the trek.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold and hot drinks on trek ( i.e. those you choose to purchase along the way and during evenings in the Tea Houses) All desserts sweet things like chocolate, cake, pie, pudding. Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for the guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected).
- Kathmandu sightseeing monument entrance fees.
- Excess baggage more than 12 kg.(If you have extra baggage you can leave in Kathmandu office and pokhara with full safety)
- Airfare from Kathmandu to Pokhara and return that cost 226 US$ per person.