Upper Dolpo Trekking is one of the least frequented remote trekking in Nepal lies in the base of far west Himalayas preserve the stone-age culture. Opened in 1993 for Tourism activities with special trekking permit, it is still holding gem of landmarks and the authentic culture of Tibetan Buddhism. Friendly People greet visitors to Dolpo with warm “Tashi Delek”. The monasteries of Dolpo including the ones of Tibetan Buddhists and Bon nestle on the spurs atop traditional villages. The landscapes, which are so wonderful, vary while trekking in different regions of Dolpo.
Trek to Dolpo begins at Juphal, an elevated airstrip in the remote west. Before we begin the Upper Dolpo trek, visitors also get an opportunity to view the great cultural sites of Kathmandu. The Dolpo Trek with Nepal Footprint Holiday traverses through the sub-tropical forests of Shey Phoksundo National Park, ethnical villages of Lower Dolpo, and arrives at the major villages of entire Dolpo- Dho. The trading center of Dolpo, Dho is also in close proximity to Mustang. Crossing over the challenging high passes Chhoi La Pass the Upper Dolpo Trek winds through rugged trails of Dolpo to Shey via sacred Namgung Gompa and 5000m+ Shey La Pass. Shey the famous village of Dolpo has equally famous Shey Monastery with the magnificent backdrop of Crystal Mountain.
The latter half of the Upper Dolpo Trek traverses through another 5000m+ Kang La Pass, visits several traditional villages of Dolpo, and arrives in the most beautiful lake Nepal, Phoksundo. Savor the views of crystal clear Phoksundo Lake with the backdrop of lush vegetation and magnificent Mt. Kanjirowa. At Phoksundo Lake also witness the Bon culture at Ringmo Village which lies on a hill above the lake.
The restricted trekking region in Nepal, Upper Dolpo is an expensive and longest trekking adventure of Nepal compared to other trekking regions. However, the trek caters to a unique culture, landscape, and floral and fauna diversity as an open natural and cultural museum of Hidden Himalayas.
- Airport pickup, drop and all ground transport by private vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast as per itinerary.
- Trekking Lodge (Tea House) accommodations throughout the trek.
- Three meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the upper dolpo trek.
- All necessary paper works for dolpo trek special permit, Phoksundo National Park Entry Permit and TIMS card.
- A highly experience and knowledgeable, friendly , English speaking well trained, Government License holder guide with his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- Friendly and helpful porters with proper walking equipment, his salary, foods, accommodation and insurance (one porter for two people).
- Comprehensive medical box (first aid kit will be available).
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service (paid by your Travel Insurance company).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
- Emergency life saver oxygen and mask support.
- Guided Kathmandu sightseeing tour with private vehicle.
- Assistant guide group size more than 4 person group.
- Welcome and farewell dinner in typical Nepalese restaurant.
- International Airfare from and to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa on arrival at Tribhuwan International
- Airport – Kathmandu). $25 USD for 15 days Visa.
- Your Travel and Medical Insurance.
- Meals whilst you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner as per itinerary.
- Your Personal Expenses and trekking equipment for the trek.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold and hot drinks on trek ( i.e. those you choose to purchase along the way and during evenings in the Tea Houses)
- All desserts sweet things like chocolate, cake, pie, pudding.
- Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for the guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected)
- Kathmandu sightseeing monument entrance fees.
- Excess baggage more than 12 kg.(If you have extra baggage you can leave in Kathmandu office with full safety)
Arrival in Kathmandu – hotel transfer.
Half day sightseeing in Kathmandu city , Evening in the Southwest: Flight to Nepalgunj.
Into the heart Dolpos. Flight to Juphal (2,550 m) and trek to Dunai (2,150 m).
Canyon hike. Trekking to Tarakot (2,550 m).
Aiming high. Trekking to Lahiniwiese (3,300 m).
Along the Tarapchu.
Along an ancient trade route. Trekking to Dho (4,050 m).
Acclimatization in Dho (4,050 m). Cultural experience Monastery.
Always the north: Trek to High Camp (4,600 m) at La Chhoi.
The first pass: Trekking via Chhoi La (5,025 m).
Tibet is not far off. Trek to Shimen (3,900 m)
The longest Mani Walls of Nepal. Trekking to Komang (4,200 m).
Wild paths and the monastery Yang Chernobyl. Trekking to the river bed (3.700 m).
Herbs center. Trekking to Namkhong (4,200 m).
The second pass: Sela La (5,094 m). Trek to Shey Gompa. Is called Crystal Monastery as well.
The monasteries of Shey. Trekking to the base camp (4,600 m).
The third pass: Kang La (5,360 m). River crossings and camp in the pine forest.
For mountain lake. Trekking to Phoksundo (3,700 m).
Descent, down, down. Trekking to Chepka.
Goodbye. Trekking to Jhupal.
Birds eye view. Flight to Nepalgunj and Kathmandu.
Shopping & Sightseeing in Kathmandu and flight onward destination.