Rara Lake trekking is arguably one of the most beautiful trekking trips to Lake Rara in Nepal. The pristine Lake Rara is the central attraction of this trek and is considered the Queen of the Lake. Rara Lake is 2,990m above sea level and covers an area of 10.8 sq. kilometers. Authentic culture of wild Rara and Sinja Valley Trek in western Nepal, vibrant natural beauty, hidden valleys and stunning walks to beautiful lakes give insights into Rara National Park. Rara Lake Sinja Valley trekking in Jumla is one of the most rewarding remote trekking routes in western Nepal. The historic and isolated settlements of Jumla and the Rara lake that surrounds it, the authentic Buddhist and Hindu culture and the splendor of the Rara lake seem like a gift from God.
The Sinja Valley itself is one of Jumla’s most secret and bio-diverse valleys. It is also the place of origin of Nepali Language, locally also known as Khas Bhasa. The Rara Lake Trek is a GHT- the lower and upper routes of the Great Himalaya Trail form an intersection. From here trekkers can head along the old salt route to Humla, the royal highway to the plains. One of the more unusual divers of the local economy is the medicinally valuable Yarchagumba fungus. The fungus grows out of the head of a caterpillar and can be worth high value.
Table of Contents
Main Features of Rara and Sinja Valley Trek are:
- Seeing and feeling the less-explored aspects of Nepal is a once-in-a-lifetime experience
- Explore the natural beauty and tranquility of Lake Rara
- Visit the Sinja Valley, an important ancient historic site in Nepal
- Untouched flora and fauna protected around the national park
- Walk through beautiful pine and rhododendron forests
- Experience the authentic culture and lifestyle of the Jumla district
How to Trek Lake Rara
Fly to Nepalgunj from Kathmandu and then to Jumla and start trek through the Sinja Valley. The trekking area is mostly dry and far away, but the trails are relatively good. Next begins a forested area dominated by pine, spruce and juniper trees. ChucheMara Hill (4,087m) is a high-pass trek and offers an impressive panorama of the lake and the snow-capped Himalayas. The biodiversity of this national park is undisturbed and you can see 500 species of plants and flowers. In addition to that, the cultural aspect of the locals is another great attraction of trekking. The Rara Trek one of the short and moderate hike suites for short and wilderness holiday seekers those who love nature, culture, not touristic and nature beauty of Nepal.
Rara Lake Trek Difficulty
Trekking on Lake Rara is obviously very easy and suitable for all trekkers. From beginners to advanced, you can complete this hike with a basic level of fitness. With a light daypack, you may be able to hike on rugged terrain for 5-7 hours. Therefore, this trekking does not require any previous trekking or technical experience.
Best Time Rara Lake Trekking
The Spring (September-October) and Autumn (February-May) seasons are the best time to trek on Lake Rara. During this period, the weather is fine and you can enjoy the magnificent view of the Himalayas reflected in the lake. Needless to say, the area is covered with colorful rhododendrons that bloom during the spring season, giving the lake a unique and unparalleled beauty.
5/5 - Excellent
- Trip Code: NFH
- Trip Type: Trekking
- Start/End: Kathmandu - Kathmandu
- Group Size: 2-14
- Accommodation: Hotel, Homestay
- Best Season:
Feb. to May, Sept to Nov.
- Daily Walking Hour: 5 to 7 Hours
Find Us on Tripadvisor
Morning fly to Jumla and trek to Khali about 5 hours – By small plane we fly to Jumla Khalanga within 35 minutes. Short looks around the Khalanga Bazaar than we begin the trek . Today we hike to Khali via along the Jugad Khola, Chhere Chaur. We cross small pass Danphe Langa Pass 3680m. After short downhill and uphill we get Khali Goan. We setup the camp in village. Evening village walk. B/L/D.
Trek to Bhulbhule 3190m, about 5 to 6 hours trek – This morning we begin our trek by downhill hike than climb to the Tharmanri village 3300m. After the village the trail goes up to Himdhuksi village. After 1 hour hike we reach Nauri Ghat. We stop for lunch than continue hike to Bhulbhule via Chautha and Bharbhare village. B/L/D.
Mission Rara Lake trek to Rara via Chhuchhemare pass. About 5 to 6 hours. 4090m – Today we walk highest point on our trek to Rara and reach to the lake. First few hours walk through the jungle and bustling to Chhuchemara Danda, a hill 4100m. it offer beautiful views of 360 degree. In north, snow-capped peaks offering wonderful backdrop to Rara Lake and lush vegetation of Rara National Park. Beautiful Green hills and slops on the middle Rara Lake. Arrive in Rara Lake you feel you are such a good gifted nature place. Enjoying evening with the rara lake view. B/L/D.
Rara Lake Exploration – Enjoying with Nature Beauty – Rara lake, probably Nepal’s most beautiful lake and jewels of West Nepal. Day exploration around rara lakes, walk around you can see number of herbal and medicine plants and kinds of flowers. Boating on Rara Lake if the weather is great. B/L/D.
Trek back to Bhulbhule 6 to 7 hours – Today we heading back to Bhulbhule after visiting the scenic rara lake while exiting out we take the alternative route. Cross Passing Thakuri Village Jyari and Dhuir . Crossing Ghurchi Langa Pass 3500m we can see the Tibetan Buddhist Culture. Then walk down to Bhulbhule village. B/L/D.
Trek to Gothichaur . About 6 hours trek. Today enter the fascinating valley in the west Nepal, the Sinja valley. We trek through the forestland villages, crossing rivers to the village of Bota. Officially enter the Sinja Valley. Walk in the Capital of Khasa kingdom, Sinja is the place where the Khasa Language Nepali was originated. A purposed world UNESCO heritage Site. Sinja also has the remains of ancient temples and places. After Sinja Valley today, we will trek up to Gothichaur. Is one of the popular village of Sinja Valley. Staying in Family Home or Camp. B/L/D.
Trek to Nagma 5 to 6 hours – Trek along the village trails of Sinja Valley is a great experience. The trail goes up and down and explore the ancient culture that still prospers here. Sing Valley is one of the highest altitude place in the world that grows high quality rice. After 6 hours trek into the Culture, Nature and historic significance we reach to Nagma. Nagma is located of southern part of Sinja Valley. Stay on Family Home or Camp. B/L/D.
The last day of Rara Hike – 5 to 6 hours – Today we cross the famous pass Jaljala 3600m and down to shhere Chaur, than continue few hours to Jumla. Stay at Guest house or Camp. Celebrate the Jumla Khalanga Night in there. B/L/D.
Morning Good bye Rara Trek and Jumla Khalanga, Fly to Nepaljung than short transit fly to Kathmandu. Evening farewell Dinner in Kathmandu. Hotel B/B plan. B/L/D.
- Airport pickup, drop and all ground transport by private vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing Hotel in Kathmandu and Nepaljung with breakfast as per itinerary.
- Trekking Lodge (Tea House) accommodations throughout the trek.
- Three meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the Rara Lake trek.
- All necessary paper works for Rara National Park Entry Permit and TIMS card.
- A highly experience and knowledgeable, friendly, English speaking well trained, Government License holder guide with his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport to Arughat/Beshshishar and insurance.
- Friendly and helpful porters with proper walking equipment, his salary, foods, accommodation and insurance (one porter for two people).
- Comprehensive medical box (first aid kit will be available).
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service (paid by your Travel Insurance company).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
- Emergency life saver oxygen and mask support.
- Guided Kathmandu sightseeing tour with private vehicle.
- Assistant guide group size more than 4 person group.
- Welcome and farewell dinner in typical Nepalese restaurant.
What’s Not Include
- International Airfare from and to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa on arrival at Tribhuwan International
- Airport – Kathmandu). $25 USD for 15 days Visa.
- Your Travel and Medical Insurance.
- Meals whilst you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner as per itinerary.
- Your Personal Expenses and trekking equipment for the trek.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold and hot drinks on trek ( i.e. those you choose to purchase along the way and during evenings in the Tea Houses)
- All desserts sweet things like chocolate, cake, pie, pudding.
- Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for the guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected)
- Kathmandu sightseeing monument entrance fees.
- Excess baggage more than 12 kg.(If you have extra baggage you can leave in Kathmandu office with full safety)
The given prices is per person and exclude international flights. Fixed departure dates available for online booking. If the given date is not favorable for you, please contact us and we will happily customize your trip on dates more appropriate for you.