Explore the hidden gems of Manaslu region also known as “Tsum Valley Trekking” that match the 1950th lifestyle Tibetan culture. And, Shamanism believes by local nearby Tibetan border into the Manaslu Conservation Area.
The Tsum Valley is least explored trekking destination in the Manaslu trek route is a cultural gem. Where no trekkers before 2008. A beautiful valley ringed by the Himalayan giants. Tsum is dotted with sacred highland monasteries.
Highlights of Tsum Valley are:
- Picturesque drive from Kathmandu to Arughat
- Exploration of the Tibetan society as well as lifestyle
- Fairly very easy expedition with no fear of altitude sickness
- Many Buddhist monasteries
- Spectacular sights of mountains like Ganesh Himal
- Lovely alpine, juniper and also rhododendron forests
How to Trek Tsum Valley
The trek to Tsum Valley begins from Kathmandu to Arughat same as the Manaslu Circuit Trek. The way to Tsum area trek traverses through the Manaslu Circuit at Philim towards the Lower Tsum. Since Tsum Valley Trekking is based on Home-stay family lodes trek. Still, this region at times asks to be content with basic arrangements of food and lodges unlike other trekking regions of Nepal. This moderately adventurous trek in Nepal highlights the two biggest monasteries in the region. Mu Gompa and Rachen Gompa, which are the schools for young monks and nuns.
The remote land of Tsum valley is also an integral pilgrimage route. Because it is believed that the great Buddhist Guru Milarepa had meditated once on the mountain caves of this valley. Ganesh Himal base camp and Lungden Gompa are the another top notch of Tsum valley trek that is highest point of Tsum Valley hike. The trails of Tsum Valley are one of the best sections of the Great Himalayan Trail of Nepal, which runs at the foothills of the Himalayas from east to west.
Overall, Tsum Valley has wonderful aspects of nature and culture. The trekking caters to the exceptional beauty of alpine nature and rhododendron forests. The views of Manaslu and Ganesh Himalayan Ranges throughout the trails energize trekkers to walk further. Similarly, the cultural aspects of this valley are so authentic that trekkers shed tears on seeing the lifestyle of the people living in the region, which is so close to nomad-ism.
Best time to trek Tsum Valley
March to May and September to December is best time to trek in Tsum Valley and exploring around. However, some people like to trek in Monsoon and winter season as well for special interest like photography, bird watching, wild flowers and volunteering in Mu Gompa and Rechen monastery.
- Airport pickup, drop and all ground transport by private vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast as per itinerary.
- Trekking Lodge (Tea House) accommodations throughout the trek.
- Three meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the Manaslu Circuit trek.
- All necessary paper works for Manaslu Conservation Park Entry Permit and TIMS card.
- A highly experience and knowledgeable, friendly, English speaking well trained, Government License holder guide with his salary, food, drinks, accommodation, transport to Arughat/Bashshishar and insurance.
- Friendly and helpful porters with proper walking equipment, his salary, foods, accommodation and insurance (one porter for two people).
- Comprehensive medical box (first aid kit will be available).
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service (paid by your Travel Insurance company).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
- Emergency life saver oxygen and mask support.
- Guided Kathmandu sightseeing tour with private vehicle.
- Assistant guide group size more than 4 person group.
- Welcome and farewell dinner in typical Nepalese restaurant.
- International Airfare from and to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa on arrival at Tribhuwan International
- Airport – Kathmandu). $25 USD for 15 days Visa.
- Your Travel and Medical Insurance.
- Meals whilst you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner as per itinerary.
- Your Personal Expenses and trekking equipment for the trek.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold and hot drinks on trek ( i.e. those you choose to purchase along the way and during evenings in the Tea Houses)
- All desserts sweet things like chocolate, cake, pie, pudding.
- Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for the guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected)
- Kathmandu sightseeing monument entrance fees.
- Excess baggage more than 12 kg.(If you have extra baggage you can leave in Kathmandu office with full safety)
Arrival in Kathmandu.
Kathmandu sightseeing and trek preparation.
Half day Kathmandu sightseeing and tsum valley trekking preparation. Hotel B/B plan.
Drive to Arughat – Soti Khola.
Drive to Arughat – Soti Khola – After breakfast our drive journey begin from Kathmandu.
Today we drive about 90km. black road then 32km graveled road to Arughat that take us about 5 to 6 hours by private jeep and another 1 hour local jeep/bus drive we reach Soti Khola. Stay at river site lodge. B/L/D.
Trek to Khorla Bashi along the Lapubashi and Machhaphola.
Trek to Khorla Bashi along the Lapubashi and Machhaphola – First day of trek along the buri gandaki river.
We always follow this river and cross many times. uphill trek to liding and mixed forest walk stoned steps to Lapu Bashi. Continue trek to Macha Khola and another hour to Khorla Basi. Simple guest house. B/L/D.
Trekking to Jagat via Dovan and Tatopani.
Trekking to Jagat via Dovan and Tatopani – Hot spring. An moderate hike along the river bank of Budhi Gandaki on rocky trail, cross some running water falls, suspension bridges.
We stop upper Dovan for lunch. A small Gurung kitchen offer great view of Dovan Village. Uphill hike to Yaru Phant and another hour reach to Jagat. Simple guest house. B/L/D
Trekking to Philim village.
Enter Tsum Valley area – Trekking to Philim village. Walk along with the view of white water falls, monkeys farms and small villages.
Possible to see some monkeys and Adler on rocky trail via Salleri, Sidribasha and ghatte khola. We will show you few local water meal and cross a long suspension bridge to Philiim village. A nice village with higher secondary school and small health post with few guest houses. Guest house. B/L/D.
Philim to Chumling trek.
Philim to Chumling trek, today you left manaslu circuit trail in right bank than continue hike in Tsum valley via Lokpa village.
We keep walk up to river bank and follow right bank of river along the pine forest on rocky trail. Reach to Lokpa for lunch than continue Laligurash jungle uphill to Chumling that take at list 3 hours. Authentic Village with wooden roof and barley fields and potatos. Stay on local Lodge/Camp. B/L/D
Trekking to Chhokangparo.
Trekking to Chhokangparo, nice and less touristic hidden valley walk along the river gorge, villages and small chortens, rhododendron forest and monkeys, step climb.
Chhokangparo to Nile Trek.
Chhokangparo to Nile Trek, an easy walk along the Tsum Valley village, Camp/Lodge home stay. B/L/D.
Nile to Mu Gompa Trek.
Nile to Mu Gompa Trek. Short walk to famous monastery of Tsum Valley. Visit monastery and day exploration.
Lodge/Camp home stay. B/L/D
Mu Gompa to Chhokangparo trek.
Mu Gompa to Chhokangparo trek. Nice backward trekking along the Tsum valley and river bank, Visit Ranjani monastery
Walk along the paddy field of barley, buckwheat fields. Lodge. B/L/D
Chhokangparo to Langdung gompa Hike.
The hike from Chhokangparo to Langdung gompa almost a full day trip, strong uphill and downhill step climbing in alpine forest along single track, cross the river visit small Tibetan medicine center, get close view of Mt. Ganesh Himal from north side and return to lodge. B/L/D.
Chhokangparo to Philim hike.
Great exciting return back from Tsum valley. Trek back to philim you will be refresh with hot shower. Lodge. B/L/D.
Philim to Khorla Bashi via Jagat.
Trek down to along same route to Khorla bashi via Jagat and and hot spring. Lodge. B/L/D.
Trek to Soti Khola.
Trek to Soti Khola and drive to Arughat Bazaar by local jeep/Bus. Get ready for next drive to Kathmandu and tsum valley trek will end. lodge/Camp.
Drive back to Kathmandu.
Drive back to Kathmandu about 7 to 8 hours. B/ L and Hotel only.