Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek – 3rd highest mountain holds the longest trek in Nepal insight the Kanchenjunga conservation area, a newly formed tea-house trek in Eastern Nepal. The trekking lies in the east corner of Nepal between the Sikkim border. It is one of the outstanding treks for those people who are looking real wilderness, non-touristic and explore the hidden villages. Only a few hundreds of trekkers join this trek route with the support of guide, porter and special trekking permit from Nepal Government. The Kanchenjunga trekking route still able to preserve their respective tradition, culture, and environment which is best for nature and culture lovers.
Kanchenjunga region offers worthwhile trekking through lush, low land valleys, unbelievable forests and into the high alpine meadow and Nepal’s longest glaciers on the lap of Mt Kanchenjunga. On the trekking route, you will pass through beautiful Buddhist temples and villages. The Kanchenjunga region is home to a mixed community of Sherpa, Lai, Limbu and Gurung, giving trekkers an opportunity to understand their culture and lifestyle.
While trekking to Kanchenjunga Base Camp to Ghunsa Village, you will connect through GHT – Great Himalayan Trail from east Nepal.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek highlights are:
- Ultimate Himalaya hiking experience in the rural and remote areas of Nepal
- One of the most popular remote and less touristic trekking areas of Nepal
- The trek from subtropical green valleys in east Nepal to rhododendron forest to the highest summit and get close views of 8,500-meter view from the alpine zone
- Multiple options stay with local families or tented camp and get involved with local tribes of the Kanchenjunga Area
- Breathtaking views of natural beauties of Mt. Kanchenjunga base camp en route
- Eyes catch views of wildlife, including snow leopard, blue sheep, black bears, red pandas, and Himalayan Yaks
How to Trek Kanchenjunga Base Camp
The trekking route to Kangchenjunga Base Camp passes through the Arun Valley, which is considered to be one of the most beautiful trekking areas in Nepal. One of the main highlights of this trek is the Kanchenjunga Nature Reserve, which covers an area of 2,035 sq. kilometers. The area is home to many flora and fauna, as well as a variety of wildlife, including Himalayan black bears, musk deers, snow leopards, red pandas, and wild boars. Routes to base camps offer a variety of landscapes, from alpine meadows to subtropical forests, low river valleys, glacier moraines, and rocky scree slopes. During the trek, the trekker gets stunning panoramic views of the huge summits of Lhotse (8,516m), Everest (8,848m), Kanchenjunga (8,586m) and Makalu (8,481m).
Best Time to Trek Kanchenjunga Base Camp
Best time and months for Kanchenjunga trekking from March till mid-May and October till the end of November. Although, some people they hike may June and Early September and till December as well. Those months are monsoon and winter season. In general, expect stable weather, sunny days, warm days and cool nights during this trekking season. During the wintertime, some of the local village people from the upper part move down to the lower valley for a warm place. In that case, some of the tea houses and campsites may be without people and layers.
5/5 - Excellent
- Trip Code: NFH
- Trip Type: Trekking
- Start/End: Kathmandu -
- Group Size: 2-14
- Accommodation: tea-house
- Best Season:
Sept - Nov: Mar - May
- Daily Walking Hour: 4 to 8 hours
Find Us on Tripadvisor
Easy Morning, a short Kathmandu highlight tours and preparing your permit, you will introduce with your guide and short information about the trek and needy things.
- Airport pick up and drop service.
- 4 Night 3 star hotel in Kathmandu wtih B/B plan.
- Kathmandu city tours with Guide as per plan.
- Round trip flight from Kathmandu Suketar Kathmandu with guide.
- All needed trekking permit, National Park Entry Fee and entry permit.
- English speaking Guide and between 2 guest 1 porter.
- As per plan 3 meals a day and local guest house accommodation.
- Guide and porter Insurance, daily wages, Insurance and accommodation with food on the trek.
- First Aid medicine bag.
What’s Not Include
- International Airfare from and to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa on arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport – Kathmandu). $25 USD for 15 days Visa.
- Your Travel and Medical Insurance.
- Meals whilst you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner as per itinerary.
- Your Personal Expenses and trekking equipment for the trek.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold and hot drinks on trek ( i.e. those you choose to purchase along the way and during evenings in the Tea Houses)
- All desserts sweet things like chocolate, cake, pie, pudding.
- Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for the guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected)
- Kathmandu sightseeing monument entrance fees.
- Excess baggage more than 12kg. (If you have extra baggage you can leave in Kathmandu office with full safety)
The given prices is per person and exclude international flights. Fixed departure dates available for online booking. If the given date is not favorable for you, please contact us and we will happily customize your trip on dates more appropriate for you.