Makalu trekking is practically an offbeat and Nepal’s most divers trekking through the least frequented trails. The trail has the name of Mt. Makalu, the fifth-highest summit in the world (8,463 m). Mt. Makalu soars in the skyline of Makalu-Barun National Park. The Barun Glacier, Mt. Makalu, and an entire panorama of Everest and Lhotse can all be seen from Makalu Base Camp. Since Makalu Base Camp is located at 5,100m above sea level, the difficult hike through steadily rising altitude is a perfect way to gradually acclimate.
Table of Contents
What Makes Makalu Trekking Special?
Trekking in Makalu Base Camp provides a great contrast of high waterfalls cascading down into deep gorges, craggy rocks augmenting from the verdant woodlands, and multi-colored flowers blossoming underneath the white snow-capped peaks. The Makalu trek is demanding yet the most beautiful trek in Nepal’s eastern Himalayas. The stretched and pure landscape makes this trek a classic in its own features. In addition, the culture of different ethnic groups is a beautiful highlight of Makalu Trekking.
Main Features of Makalu Trekking are:
- Join the trek to Makalu Base Camp – an experience you’ll never forget.
- View varied scenery as you travel from 700m to over 5,000m in different temperate zones.
- Take a journey through the steep-sided river gorges, soaring cliffs, beautiful waterfalls, high altitude lakes and remote villages.
- Stay in tea houses while trekking to experience the remote village life and contribute directly to the local economy.
- Take a full day to explore Makalu-Barun Valley.
Makalu-Barun Valley is a Himalayan glacier valley situated at the base of Makalu in the Sankhuwasabha district of Nepal. This valley lies entirely inside the Makalu-Barun National Park. The diversity of plant and animal life in Makalu-Barun Valley makes it a great place to explore while on an offbeat trekking holiday in Nepal.
Starting of Makalu Trekking
This offbeat and challenging trek in Nepal begins at Tumlingtar and treads the trail to Arun River Valley. Trek to the Upper Barun Valley via Shipton Lapas for a closer look at Makalu and Chamlang Himal. The Makalu Base Camp (4,870 m) offers a fantastic panoramic view of eastern Himalayas; Chamlang (7,319m), Peak 6 (6,739m), Peak 7 (6,105m) Makalu (8,463m), Mt. Everest & Kangchenjunga.
Best Time to Trek Makalu?
During the spring season, trekkers are advised to visit Makalu Base Camp from late April to early May. Most hikers come in October during the autumn season. In most cases, this month is the perfect month to visit Makalu Base Camp.
New Tea House
Today, this trek has become another remote trek with teahouse facilities as you trek from Tumlingtar to Makalu Base Camp and experience the life of a remote village. We moreover run this superb journey on a camp premise.
5/5 - Excellent
- Trip Code: NFH2
- Trip Type: Trekking
- Start/End: Kathmandu -
- Group Size: 2-14 Pax
- Accommodation: Tea House
- Best Season:
- Daily Walking Hour: 5 to 9 Hours
Find Us on Tripadvisor
Trek to Langmale Kharka 4410m 3– 4 hours, explore lakes around. local Tea-house. Optional tips – Morning climb to Shersong 4660m about 2 to 3 hours, local tea house, and climb next view point 5250m form there you can see a close view of Mt. Everest, 8848m, Mt. Lhoste range 8501m. and many other mountain peaks can be seen including Kanchenjunga 8585m.
- Airport pickup, drop and all ground transport by private vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast as per itinerary.
- Trekking Lodge/camping accommodations throughout the trek.
- Three meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the Makalu Base Camp trek.
- All necessary paper works for Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit and TIMS card.
- A highly experience and knowledgeable, friendly , English speaking well trained, Government License holder guide with his salary, food, drinks, accommodation and insurance.
- Friendly and helpful porters with proper walking equipment, his salary, foods, accommodation and insurance (one porter for two people).
- Comprehensive medical box (first aid kit will be available).
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service (paid by your Travel Insurance company).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
- Emergency life saver oxygen and mask support.
- Guided Kathmandu sightseeing tour with private vehicle.
- Assistant guide group size more than 4 person group.
- Welcome and farewell dinner in typical Nepalese restaurant.
What’s Not Include
- International Airfare from and to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa on arrival at Tribhuwan International
- Airport – Kathmandu). $25 USD for 15 days Visa.
- Your Travel and Medical Insurance.
- Meals whilst you are in Kathmandu Lunch and Dinner as per itinerary.
- Your Personal Expenses and trekking equipment for the trek.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold and hot drinks on trek ( i.e. those you choose to purchase along the way and during evenings in the Tea Houses)
- All desserts sweet things like chocolate, cake, pie, pudding.
- Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for the guide, porter and driver (Tipping is expected)
- Kathmandu sightseeing monument entrance fees.
- Excess baggage more than 12 kg.(If you have extra baggage you can leave in Kathmandu office with full safety)
The given prices is per person and exclude international flights. Fixed departure dates available for online booking. If the given date is not favorable for you, please contact us and we will happily customize your trip on dates more appropriate for you.